Aloha and Happy Lei Day! This was an unexpectedly busy month. I’m eligible for promotion in the Navy Reserve to the rank of chief (E-7). As part of that, we found out at the beginning of the month there is a 40-hour course we need to complete in order to even be competitive. Once I got into the course, I quickly realized it was in fact not a 40-hour course, but a 70-hour one. That’s where most of my time went this month.
- Regular Expressions
- Basic Data Structures
Now I’m working on Basic Algorithm Scripting. I intend to start working on freeCodeCamp a lot more as of this month, with a goal of at least seven hours a week.
I made some progress on the Become a Front-End Web Developer learning path in addition to a course on writing by completing:
- Programming Foundations: Fundamentals
- User Experience for Web Designers
- Completed UX Foundations: Accessibility
- Completed Writing to be Heard on LinkedIn
As I start to work more on freeCodeCamp, that extra time has to come from somewhere. I’m going to cut back on my LinkedIn Learning courses to a couple hours a week, plus whatever else I can squeeze in.
Projects I Worked On
Progress: This has been almost done for a while but finally made time to get it knocked out. I took the photos and added the number of minifigs to the game. The game has been added to my 404 error page on this site. I’ll probably make a few tweaks (including adding a photo of the minifigs spread out), but it’s up and working.
Island of Aloha
Purpose: This is a new personal site for all things non-development, with a focus on Hawai’i and recipes. I’ve spent a little time checking out what recipe plugins are available and working on a “start here” page.
Purpose: I love coffee and the mugs it goes in. I think it would be fun to get the week started with sharing a different mug each Monday. Although this won’t be a permanent feature, I have enough to keep it going for at over two years!
Progress: I experimented during a lunch break and actually got the entire thing working. There is a “Mug Monday” custom post type that uses a Gutenberg template.
Project Goals for The Month
- Island of Aloha [Website]. The main goal this month is to do more research and decide on a plugin to use for my recipes. Once that’s done, it shouldn’t take me too long to get all the posts transferred over from Household Discoveries to Island of Aloha.
- Mug Monday [Plugin]. I’m hoping to have Mug Monday finished up this month. It only took me a lunch hour to get it going, but I want to clean some things up a bit.
- #100DaysOfCode. They say the best way to learn something is by doing. I had previously started the challenge but it wasn’t working out with my schedule. I certainly don’t have any more free time, but I’m going to do my #100DaysOfCode working on freeCodeCamp’s challenges from beta.freecodecamp.org.
I’m just about done with a separate post on this and I will be sharing that in the next couple days.
- Blogging. I’ve wanted to start writing for a while, but this month I plan to do it. My initial goal is to start with one post every 2nd Tuesday of the month and see how that goes.
- WordPress.org Support Forums. I haven’t been able to spend much time providing support lately, but I hope to get back into that. I miss it. My goal is to spend at least 30 minutes each day in the forums.
Aloha, a hui hou (until we meet again)!