Acorn Squash Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 small acorn squash about 1 cup
- 2 cups of elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2-3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place cut-side down on a microwave-safe dish; cover and microwave for 10-12 minutes, or until tender.
- Flip squash over so it is cut-side up. Place 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the center of each half.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- While the squash is in the microwave, cook noodles according to package directions.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt remaining butter and stir in the flour.
- Whisk in the milk until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Stirring frequently, cook until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese and stir until mostly melted.
- The acorn squash should be about ready now.
- Caution: Be careful, as the squash is going to be very hot.
- When the squash is tender, remove it from the microwave.
- Using a pot holder if needed, scoop out the insides of the squash and stir in to cheese mixture.
- Fold in the pasta until evenly coated.
- Pour into greased 9″x9″ dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
This dish may look a little weird, but don’t worry, yours won’t look like that. Monkey and I had just made Rainbow Pasta, and decided to use that when we made this recipe. Original recipe: chocolate & carrots Acorn Squash Macaroni and Cheese