I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions. I like the concept of starting fresh but I don’t want to wait for a new year to get things going. For example, I started my current run streak on December 20. Since then, I’ve ran at least 1 mile every day for a total of almost 109 miles. It would have been easier to wait for the new year to keep track of the days, but I wanted to start. While I don’t wait for a new year to start things, a calendar year can be a great way to track your long-term progress.
Recently I heard about choosing a word for your year and I love that idea. This can help shape your year and make it easier to decide what you will or won’t be doing.
I was surprised by how little I needed to think about this before I knew what it would be. My word for this year is going to be “learn.” My career and educational goals are the driving force behind it. There will be a lot to take in this year but I’m up for the challenge.
“Happier by Gretchen Rubin” is one of the podcasts I regularly listen to. Episode 203 covered a topic called “19 for 2019.” As the name implies, this is a list of 19 things to get done in 2019. This is a fun idea and I will use it to set my goals for the year.
As I was looking into goal setting, I came across a post on Dave Ramsey’s website titled, “How to Set SMART Goals in 2019.” I am well aware of SMART goals, but I liked the categories he broke them into. Here’s the list – and my take on them:
- Financial: As I get older, I want to keep better tabs of things.
- Spiritual: Continue to build upon my spirituality and knowledge.
- Fitness: Get in the best shape I’ve ever been in.
- Educational: Even having earned my Bachelor’s degree, I think this year is going to be one of the fullest of my life. I have a lot to learn and I can’t wait to get started!
- Family: More family adventures and memory making.
- Career: There are major changes coming soon in this category! I have these set but will get them added in a couple weeks.
- Social: I’m an introvert and can be very quiet. It’s not that I don’t enjoy talking with people, but I just don’t have that much to say sometimes. My goal this year is to be more social.
19 for 2019
Here’s a list of things I want to get done this year
- Create a budget. [Financial]
- Start a daily journal to track my goals, accomplishments, and failures. [Spiritual]
- Start reading The Bible daily. [Spiritual]
- Create a life plan. [Spiritual]
- Run 1,000 miles this year. [Fitness]
- As reference, I ran 571.1 in 2018.
- Run at least one mile every day. [Fitness]
- Do a cross-training workout at least 3 times a week. [Fitness]
- Learn at least 1/3 of the roads in our village’s run district for our volunteer fire department. [Education]
- I want to immediately know the general location as soon as I hear the address.
- Read (or listen to) at least one book every month. [Education]
- Learn to read basic music. [Education]
- I could read notes when I was a kid but haven’t done anything with it since then.
- This is progress towards my long-term goal of learning Ukulele.
- Learn WordPress multisite. [Education]
- I have an idea for a large project I would like to work on this summer.
- Take at least three camping trips. [Family]
- Do more meal prep. We did this once and made six meals in an hour. I loved it and am very interested in doing this on a more regular basis. [Family]
- Do one home project every month. [Family]
- Do at least one volunteer project as an ʻohana. [Family]
- Goal 1 for career to be added soon… [Career]
- Goal 2 for career to be added soon… [Career]
- Reach out to at least 3 people each week. [Social]
That’s my 19 for 2019. It’s my first time trying this so I’m anxious to see how it goes. Here’s to a happy and productive year to all of us! What are your goals for the year? I’d love for you to share them in the comments below!